For most startups, hiring their first marketer is a new opportunity filled with hope, but underpinned by fear of the unknown.
Here's the critical questions to ask yourself when hiring your startup's first marketer.
Considering these questions will save you a lot of money, ensuring you establish a productive working relationship with your new marketer from Day 1.
Are you ready?
What is your current landing page conversion rate?
- Are you looking for part-time, full-time of freelance?
- What level of relevant experience are you looking for?
- Are you looking for someone to execute or plan strategy?
- What is your budget? For the marketer's time? For paid experimentation (like Facebook or LinkedIn Ads)? For the tools they may need (like Mailchimp, Hotjar or Instapage)?
- Do you want to pay by task, hour, outcome or percentage?
- Considering your budget, what period of time can you commit to?
- How much do you want to pay for customers: Per email address? New trial user? Paid user?
When budgeting for a marketer you need to budget for their time AND the tools, resources, assets and paid campaign budgets they will need.
How much time do you have to dedicate to working with the marketer?
- Are you setup to facilitate the marketer starting straight away?
- Are your Ad Accounts setup: Google Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Facebook Ads?
- Are your marketing tools in place? Google Analytics? Tag Manager?
- Are you marketing passwords stored in a shared Password tool?
Setup the tools your marketer needs and add the logins to a Password manager so the process is refined (and cheaper) as you grow out your marketing team.
- What process do you want them to follow? Sequential tasks, multiple experiments? Milestones?
- Where do you want them to track tasks and progress? Publicly? Do you have a tool for this
- How would you like to work with them? In person? Remotely? Hands on / hands off?
- What calls and check ins would you like to have? How do they fit into your existing work flow?
- When and how often will you review progress and agree next steps?
Outcomes and objectives
- What is your biggest marketing challenge?
- What are your priority marketing tasks?
- Should the marketer be focussed across all sources of user acquisition or just one? For example SEO vs Paid LinkedIn vs Community outreach.
- What marketing have you previously undertaken? How did it perform?
- What does success look like in the next month, two months, and year?
- What do you want to learn during the cycles of work?
- What is your reporting cycle? What do reports look like? What are the meaningful metrics?
How much does a freelance marketer cost?
Dependent on experience you can expect to pay between £10 and £100/hour for a freelance marketer. You'd should expect marketers to bill from 2 or 3 days work upwards.
What marketing process do you personally recommend?
This post features my suggested marketing process. A sprint method working from an Ideas and Experiments backlog.
Help! I don't know how to answer these questions.
I'd be happy to help. Drop me an email on firstname.lastname@example.org and let's organise a quick chat.